I was thinking of this this morning. I don’t know why. Maybe because sometimes my b00bies feel like they are having a milk let-down, even though that makes no sense. I have some advice for brand new moms. Because I just KNOW nobody is offering any to you.
1. If you are trying to breastfeed and anyone tells you to supplement and acts as though your baby’s life depends on it please do the following: nod, smile, and call a lactation consultant. Don’t worry about the fee, it will pay itself back in lack of formula expenses tenfold. It seems that nobody trusts your b00bs the way an LC does. Not your doctor, not your baby’s doctor. Thank me later.
2. Wait a week. Whatever it is that’s driving you bazanas, or worrying you sick… just try to stay chill and wait a week. It may just change. Unless it is something about which you should call the doctor. Then just call the doctor.
3. Call the doctor. Don’t worry about bothering him or her. Just make the call when you are worried. It will make you feel better.
4. If somebody gives you annoying advice on the street (this may just be for New York moms. Does this happen elsewhere?) Smile and say either, “Thanks for letting me know,” or “Thanks, I’ve got it under control.” Remember, they are trying to be helpful and have no idea how mad they just made you. Or you could just bonk them on the head.
5. Don’t forget to love your honey. You are both tired and easily annoyed right now. Remember why you chose her (or him) to have this baby with in the first place. And go on a date as soon as you are able. Nurture that love, honey. You’ll be glad you did.
I don’t know why I’m getting all preachy. Perhaps because it is Sunday? Or because I don’t feel like I have anything real to write about? Maybe I just want you to ignore that last post? Who knows?